Monday, December 22, 2014

When a Word Becomes Sacred

I can hardly stay inside my skin this time of year and it has nothing to do with Christmas. For some reason, the end of the year is so sacred to me. I become very nostalgic and begin looking back on the past year.

Some time after Thanksgiving, when things slow down and the snow begins to fall, my heart turns toward remembering all the Lord has done in the last year.

This year is no different, my heart swells with gratitude. I find myself very emotional during the last weeks of the year too. Sometimes tears of sadness, some tears of great joy, often times, both.

My most favorite part, though, is seeking Him for direction for the coming year, and for my ‘word’ for the year! It’s a fun game we play. I tune my ears to hear His voice. I take ‘words’ off the shelf and look at them, asking, is this it? What about this one? It really is a sweet time I have with Him.

words

Do you pick a word for the year? What I love most about it,is the simplicity of it all. No big resolutions I will forget by February. No trying to figure out what I should be doing for the new year. Nope, just a simple word or phrase to think about and meditate on for the coming year. 

Last year my word was “Be Still and Know”. Turned out to be an appropriate word, as it always does. One year it was perspective.  What is on your heart this year? I encourage you to consider seeking the Lord for a ‘word’ to define and shape your coming year. Doesn’t have to be fancy and you don’t stress over it. He hears your cry and He will make it abundantly clear. Sometimes, for me, it doesn’t come until New Year’s Day, when I am having my New Year’s Quiet time! He is never late.

I have an inkling of what mine might be, but won’t know for sure until I officially christen the new year with my sacred word.  I would love to hear if you have this tradition too?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I think my word is "renewal."