Monday, March 25, 2013

Escapism

Escapism: The tendency to escape from daily reality or routine by indulging in daydreaming, fantasy, or entertainment.

One thing that irritates me to no end is technology.  It is a love/hate relationship.  I think it is incredibly useful but also has the potential to destroy ‘family’ as we know it.  I am seeing our family be distracted with technology more and more as we all have smart phones and have reasons to be on the computer.  I am not sure what to do about it, but I am taking notice and don’t want to be slack in this.

I have noticed, for myself, that not only is technology, in the form of the internet, blogs, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter, a giant timewaster, but I think it is actually becoming an acceptable ‘drug’.

Sound crazy?  Hang with me for a minute.   Drugs (and the abuse thereof) are used, in part, as an escape.  When life it too much or one doesn’t know how to handle life, they need to check out in some way.  Drugs, money, shopping, food, whatever the vice, the ‘need to escape’ is there.  Of course, there are a multitude of reasons that are the root of this abuse, but the need to be loved and to fill the empty, broken place are probably the most prominent.  I want to focus on one the things we use to ‘escape’.  (The Lord should be sought as to the ‘why’ we run to these things.)  Most of us are not getting drunk with alcohol, or high on drugs, but there are other ‘drugs’ that help us to escape.

Maybe this is just me, but have you ever just mindlessly clicked from blog to blog or Pinterest idea to Pinterest idea? Click, click, click. You should be making dinner, looking at your children when they speak to you, educating them, doing the laundry, . . .  It is so much easier to just click, click, click, and escape the responsibilities.  Or maybe you are just plain overwhelmed and don’t know where to start . . . click, click, click.

Or Facebook, do I need to check it a bazillion times a day?  Why do I?  Because I really ‘care’ what is on there or because I just want to escape my reality and dive into someone else's. (I could do a whole series on the evils of Facebook!)

Smart Phones have upped the ante.  We don’t even need to flip open the lid on our laptop anymore.  That’s so old school, we just need to start sliding our fingertip across the screen, and bam, we are transported to another place. Not to mention they are always with us, in the restaurant, while we are driving, at the coffee shop, on the playground, at the dinner table.

I absolutely have to use the internet, Pinterest and Facebook for our business, but I must honestly admit that I also use it to escape. I have not figured out the balance yet. I am an all or nothing gal.  I’d rather throw the computer and smart phone in the pond than have to find that balance, but I can’t.

The following verses have been speaking to me as I seek to find that balance and they are very convicting.  I’m still working these out ladies.

Pr. 14:1

The wise woman builds her house,
But the foolish pulls it down with her hands.

I wonder if a modern day translation could read, The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with click, click, click of the mouse. (Or her rapid-fire thumbs on her smartphone)

Ephesians 5:15-17

 See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,  redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.  And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,

Perhaps, ‘do not be drunk with wine’ would be translated today as ‘do not use technology to escape’??

Not trying to be disrespectful in anyway with the Word of God, I am just seeing yet another way in which I have been ‘unwise’ and have not been redeeming the time and have actually been getting “drunk” or “escaping”.

What about you?  Do you find yourself using an ‘acceptable’ “drug” to escape reality?

 

 

2 comments:

Ginger mosley said...

Michelle,
Speaking my thoughts too. Been convicted lately about the same things. Not because of escapism (used to do that with alcohol) but because I linger longer than I should and fail to 'redeem the time'. This week in preparation for Easter I am trying to NOT let any of these things creep into my morning devotion time. HE paid such a high price for me to have access to The Father...how could I let anything become more important than spending time with HIM?? GOD forgive me please and make me more devoted to you!
Mighty GOD and Loving Father, You took the addiction to alcohol from my hand and replaced it with a wonderful addiction to Your Word...do it again, do it again. I love you, amen.

Griz Creative said...

I agree that it can be hard to find that balance, just for work alone I spend 9 hours a day with technology, and then at home I am reading articles, instruction manuals, wiki pages, anything and everything I can to learn, its just the way I take in information.

While sometimes I fall short, I think Elysa and I have found a good balance with tech in our lives. There have been plenty of nights where we just put the phone down and talk for hours on end. I am usually up much later than her(pregnancy has a way of wiping you out faster) that I will put the phone down to give her that personal time as she falls asleep, so as to not let my study time take up our together time.

I check Facebook and Twitter maybe twice a day, I turned off notifications on my phone, it could be hours before I know anyone even said anything to me.

Try that, turn off your notifications, discipline yourself to only checking at certain times, for a set time period.